Friday 3 October 2014

Never Get Lost


I laughed, had this man forgotten about social media?  His throwback question was not so relevant for today’s world.
Sean asked; 'What if we were marooned here with a broken boat with only each other and little else?  The last apple and cinnamon muffin had been consumed by hungry tourists. Lunch seemed a long way off but we thought about his not so relevant question.
I shouted out; "I had Optus coverage a few minutes ago, I would just ring emergency services!"  The man behind me confirmed my outburst, stating he had received all of his messages before morning tea.  Sean rolled his eyes and soldiered on with his question time.
"What way would you walk out of here?" he persisted after a few more leading questions.  Answers came from all directions and it was agreed we would head west towards Augusta the nearest town where rescuers would be found.

My fear of being lost stems from a school excursion in my early primary school years.  We had gone to the beach for a school excursion and somehow I had wandered from the group and found myself alone. I began to cry and two old ladies (everyone is old when you are young) pointed out my school group heading for the bus. I scampered up the beach as fast as I could go and was at the end of the line before I was even missed.  I had visions of living on the beach for years to come with no one to help me.  It is a story never shared until this day. The deep dark secret of inattentive childhood!

Needless to say getting lost anywhere, anytime is my number 1 'no, no!'

People who suggest it being a possibility soon lose their favour with me.  My new, 'Map My Walk,' app gives me much mis-guided confidence. It works by GPS and gives me a little map of where I have already walked.  My Google Maps app shows me where I'm going and even how long it will take me to arrive!  Miss Google Maps has a sadistic habit of taking me half way around the country to reach my destination, adding hours upon my otherwise short journey. I gather she does this in revenge. I am sure her job is on the line and she no longer cares.

Back to Sean on his sinking boat. No one else has mentioned the life- saving benefits of a EPIRB; compulsory equipment on boats.  They have successfully guided emergency services to many a boat in distress.   Sean rolls his eyes again.

Next time I book a cruise I will ask about their safety equipment and make sure my mobile has coverage.
Getting lost and the ramifications will never be an option for me!
on the sandbank with the ocean in front of us
The ocean to the left and the boat is on the sandbank of the Donnelly River mid-picture

Inside the Donnelly River Cruise Boat
 



No comments:

Post a Comment