Wednesday 12 April 2017

The Big Move

Here I am.  Almost two months since I last blogged.  I have thought about hitting the keyboard many times but alas time and energy escaped me.  Only days ago I dragged my computer and its many components out of a big cardboard box where it had been unceremoniously placed on Friday 17th March, the day of the big move. 
My family and friends are tired of me saying, "I sold my house in five minutes and five minutes later I bought this house."  It's not entirely true; the time elapse is slightly longer but it seems it happened that way.  Sold and bought.  Simple.  Done.  No one is more surprised than me.  I am very grateful to the powers that be.  I know the good Lord above is looking out for me. 
The timing couldn't have been better as I see Merv's health declining so rapidly.  He went into respite before the move and stayed there for over a week afterwards. 
I was terrified to have him home.  I was so scared of him falling and me of failing.  In hindsight he has not fallen though there have been many near misses.  He can not walk without a person guiding him while holding his arm and a hand placed firmly around his waist. 
Everyday he stays on his feet is a day well done.
Moving house is the time you find out who you can count on.  To say it was overwhelming is an understatement.  Firstly I had to get it through my thick head that my house had really sold and packing and leaving my house was definite! 
My two sisters were amazing.  They packed for me, provided me with boxes, tape and texta colours.  They brought food and talked me through the packing process.  Maureen provided support and labour (and children) for our garden makeover, rubbish skip, cleaning for the Home Open and so much more. Susan packed my kitchen.  I didn't know where to begin but it appeared she had it all done in five minutes, at least it seemed that way.
In the last week Susan stayed for a whole day packing and cleaning and sorting.  Two good friends offered their help and though I had no idea what they could do I took up their offers.  I was hoping they would like to go out for coffee but they planted their feet, grabbed boxes and we filled them together.
Six days before we moved we invited friends and family to our Farewell Party.  It was an open day where people could come whenever they had time.  It was quiet in the morning with a few people stopping by but in the afternoon people filled every part of the living areas and spilled outside onto the patio.  Not only did we catch up, they caught up with mutual friends and agreed we should all do it again. A friend later asked if the Farewell had been a good idea.  I replied it was an amazing experience catching up with people, some we hadn't seen for years.  No packing happened that day and in many ways it was good to have a break.
I remember many bedtimes I would think, 'this time next month I'll be sleeping in the new house.'  It always seemed so far away and then it was upon us.  Time waits for no one.
I still wake up each morning hardly believing we sold and bought so quickly.  Selling at an inflated cost and buying at a bargain price.  This house is so very different from our last but it ticks the boxes and provides a fabulous recreational area for Mel. 
We have been truly blessed.  We walk 16 minutes to the ocean and 5 minutes the opposite direction to the estuary.
There is much to do in this house of ours.  It is slowly becoming a home.  Maureen and Steve have provided many hours of labour in the garden and house.  Steve's brother Larry has amazing patience and never flinched once while putting together the IKEA sofa bed and TV stand.
There is much to tell and write about but just one story at a time.

Farewell Party - Some of our friends

Friday 17th March - the big move

16 minute walk from our house to the ocean

Mel exercising at the beach with her cousin

New house, new furniture

Merv enjoying fish and chips at the beach

Oh no, IKEA flat packs!

No comments:

Post a Comment